Friday, September 25, 2009

Foodweather...I like it

Imagine if you woke up one morning and you looked outside the window and instead of it raining or snowing just water droplets and frozen water droplets, it rained orange juice or snowed ice cream. That's the part of the plot behind one of my favorite books that I loved to read as a child, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. Now I would always read this book before I went to bed when I was younger and when I heard that Hollywood, would be making this book into a movie, I must say that I was worried at first. As a 22-year-old college senior, I have seen my share of childhood favorites which have been turned into more commercialized Hollywood disasters. I feared that the wonderment and innocence of the text would be glamorized by flashing lights. Oh but I had nothing to fear. This movie sent me on whirlwind of emotions as it was amusing, thoughtful and heartfelt. Though some of the underlining themes may be a little too much for children to understand today, the nature of the film was much like that of the book that I read when I was younger.

Though the storyline is a bit different than that of the book, the characters in either are ones to love. From the grandfather who told the kids a story in the paperback, to the police officer who helped save the town in the movie, the individuals always seemed to remind me of someone I could relate to. The main characters in the movie may inspire the kiddies to become scientists, inventors and even a meteorologist as well That's what the whole story is based on and even more amazing is the concept of foodweather! It's a cute movie and I'm sure the whole family will love it. This weather girl approves!

1 comment:

Brian said...

I'm always skeptical of movies like this for children. However, I was really surprised I enjoyed the movie so much. It had a lot of adult themes with some childish humor that I enjoyed.