Saturday, January 28, 2012

92nd Annual American Meteorological Society Conference

Recently I attended the 92nd Annual American Meteorological Society Conference in New Orleans, LA this year with some of my classmates and faculty from Howard University. I did not present, however I am working on research on the economic value of air quality forecasting, which I may be presenting at a conference in Florida, later this year.

The conference was nice and the talks were very intriguing. I helped out at the Weatherfest last Saturday, giving demonstrations on crushing cans. My group at Howard University (the Graduate Student Association for Atmospheric Sciences) GSAAS also hosted a reception called "The Colour of Weather: Breaking Barriers, Destroying Stereotypes," that Sunday. I went attended mostly the talks on public health, policy and air quality. Vulnerability and Resistance were key words in many of the talks and were further discussed at the Women's and Minority luncheon. I could not forget about Hurricane Katrina which struck the city of New Orleans in 2005. While I was there, severe weather spawned tornadoes in parts of Texas and brought rain to parts to Louisiana.

I'd never to New Orleans previous to this conference and felt the city's spirit.  I walked a little through the French Quarter and I admired the atmosphere there. The atmosphere of Bourbon Street reminded me when I went to Las Vegas. Very alive. I would definitely like to go back to New Orleans and visit the city with my boyfriend, for a more leisure experience. I really enjoyed the weather. It was pretty much in the low to mid 70s for most of the time I was there.

Here are a some pictures from my trip to New Orleans:

 Outside the Convection Center
 Me by a house made from scrap. 

 Picture of a sunset I caught from my hotel room.

 At the WeatherFest.

 Being silly.

The panel at the Women and Minorities Luncheon.

 Never forget. 

 View in the French Quarter.

View of the Mississippi.

 With some of the students and faculty of the Howard University Program of Atmospheric Sciences (HUPAS).

With AMS President Elect, Dr. James Marshall Shepard. 
The mask that I got in New Orleans.

No comments: